Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Fabulous Kitchen

BEFORE












The original kitchen....it was rat infested, rotting and unfinished. All of the cabinets were just chipboard inside. Looks like someone got a deal on doors and couldn't be bothered buying the cabinets to go with them. As you can see there were 3 different kinds of flooring.







DECONSTRUCTION

















With the rest of the ground floor gutted, we held on to the kitchen as long as we could. We had extension cords and cables all over the place....I don't miss these days.










Out comes the plaster....











Out come the walls....











Out comes the floor. the joists are completely rotten from the water flooding in.










After the kitchen was gutted, we had this makeshift kitchen on the deck.




When it got too cold to use the makeshift outdoor kitchen, we made a temporary kitchen on the second floor.....it was awful...ugh.







CONSTRUCTION










In go the cabinets


In go the appliances.




In goes the Caesarstone countertops.

PRESENT DAY
Almost to completion we have the tile backsplash on the stove wall to do and some final accessorising and I have a complete and fabulous kitchen. woohoo!








The open floor plan is fabulous for entertaining.


Sandstone floors throughout.


My fancy new Italian range.


Modern fixtures and clean square doubke sink.


Stainless steel horizontal handles.



Even Mila looks stylin' in her uber cool high chair.


Anyone who knows me knows that I hate appliances out on the countertop, so now I have a fancy small appliances cabinet that I can make my coffee and toast in the morning without cluttering my counters.


Our dog-proof pull-out trash drawer and recycling drawer.


Dog-proof dog food drawer.

Pull out towel rack......no more towels hanging on the range or door knobs.
We reused the original lights from the kitchen.
Aaaaaaaah, the view from the deck, my dream kitchen, I couldn't ask for more....well except for a personal chef.

2 comments:

Diana Valka said...

So what was wrong with the second floor kitchen with the shag pile carpet and washing up in the bathroom?
The great Valka tradition. Demolish the kitchen first. Finish the kitchen last. : )

Lucy said...

I haven't strayed too far from the Valka tradition....nothing is 100% finished.